“I Love You, Man” Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Chipotle-Lime Sauce

28 Jan

Every time someone mentions fish tacos, I think of the scene from I Love You, Man where Jason Segel and Paul Rudd are at a restaurant ordering fish tacos on a “man date”.

Yup, that's the one!

Coincidentally, I saw that movie on TV a few days ago, which is what made me want to make fish tacos in the first place. Since then, I’ve been obsessing about fish tacos, to the point of probably being annoying. Now I can rest happy.

4 filets of white fish – tilapia, haddock, mahi mahi, cod, etc. – I think any kind would be fine
Marinade:
¼ cup olive oil
Juice of ½ of a lime
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp fish seasoning, any kind (Penzey’s Northwoods blend or Forward, perhaps)
A few drops of hot sauce or Sriracha

Chipotle lime sauce:
About 8 oz light sour cream
Sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
(the amount is variable, depending on your desired spiciness)
Juice of ½ of a lime
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp chili powder
Salt, pepper to taste

Fresh Mango Salsa:  recipe is found here

I had leftover Fresh Mango Salsa from last week sitting around, and this ended up being the perfect topping! Most fish tacos use some kind of avocado/tomato/guacamole topping, and this was very similar to a lot of recipes I’ve found. I liked the sweetness of the mango contrasting the spicy chipotle!

Mmm. Shandy wants some, too.

First, add all marinade ingredients in a Ziploc bag, and add the fish. Let it sit in the fridge for 6-8 hours, or overnight.

The next day, I baked the fish in the oven at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes, until it flakes apart when pulled with a fork.

Assemble tacos on corn or flour tortillas with one filet of fish, chipotle dressing, and mango salsa. Delicious and wonderfully easy!

Advertisements

8 Responses to ““I Love You, Man” Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Chipotle-Lime Sauce”

1. Steve January 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

These fish tacos are the tits

2. frugalfeeding January 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

These look so delicious and your dog is so gorgeous!

• Julie January 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

Thank you! Shandy says thanks too!

3. Jerry January 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Is that my fish? I hope so. You put it to good use. BTW Bob P stops at this sight and has tried some of your recipes and he is two thumbs up. Keep up the good work.
    Dad

• Julie January 28, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Your fish would be awesome in these.. but unfortunately.yours is long gone! We will have some next summer! Thanks to Bob for the positive reviews!

4. Lynn Delvaux January 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

I tried this with shrimp and it was great! I used no lard wheat tortillas and made shrimp burritos. Your website is beautiful and your receipes delightfully delicious, You (and Shandy) deserve your own show, with the target audience college students. Does the UW have their own TV channel? Of course there is always the Food Network!
    You go Girl!
    Aunt Lynn

• Julie January 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks for the support Lynn! Yum, shrimp sounds so good in a taco or burrito. I’d love to do my own show someday, Shandy can be my sidekick 🙂

• Lynn Delvaux February 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Of course, everyone loves food, dogs (like “Sous Chef ” Shandy) and healthy food ideas from a creative, bright and beautiful chef 😉